SHORT INCA TRAIL & RAINBOW MOUNTAIN TREK (4 DAYS)
A trek which combines the original Inca trail, flora and fauna, impressive archaeological sites, and magnificent snow-capped mountains, glacial peaks, and colorful striated mountains.
The short Inca Trail trek to Machu Picchu & Rainbow mountain trek package is the combination of the original Inca trail, flora and fauna, impressive archaeological sites, and magnificent snow-capped mountains, glacial peaks, and colorful striated mountains. On our first two days we will hike through tropical vegetation to the beautiful Inca site Wiñaywayna where we join the classic Inca Trail and continue to the famous Sun Gate. There, travelers have their first views of the magnificent Inca city Machu Picchu. On this hike, travelers can see Machu Picchu twice; during the sunset without crowds and the next day at sunrise. On the last two days we will be hiking by the Vilcanota Mountain range, is in close proximity to the highest Sacred Mountain in the Cusco region Ausangate, where we will spend the night under the start on the overnight trek to the Rainbow Mountain.
- Original Inca trails, entering Machu Picchu through the famous Sun Gate
- Returning at sunrise to explore Machu Picchu
- Beautiful landscaped and snow-capped peaks
- Rainbow mountain, amazing colors of mountains due to rich minerals
- Quechua highland communities, llama and alpaca herds
DAY 1: CUSCO-KM 104- WIÑAYHUYNA-MACHU PICCHU
We will pick you up at your hotel to travel by private transportation to the train station at Ollantaytambo to travel to Km 104, the starting point of the trek. We ascend gradually to Wiñayhuyna, the best-preserved Inca site around Machu Picchu, visiting Chachabamba on the way. Lunch will be at a place chosen by the tour guide. We continue on the stone-paved Inca Trail through the cloud forest to Inti Punku (Sun Gate) where we will have a panoramic view of Machu Picchu and some time to enjoy the magical Inca city at sunset. Then we will go by bus to Aguas Calientes, where our hotel and dinner will be waiting for us.
Trekking distance: 10km/6,21miles
Aguas Calientes altitude: 2050m/6,726ft
DAY 2: AGUAS CALIENTES-MACHU PICCHU-CUSCO
After an early breakfast at the hotel, we will take the bus back to Machu Picchu for the complete guided tour of the magical city. Then you will have free time to explore Machu Picchu by yourself or to climb Wayna Picchu for different spectacular views of Machu Picchu. Later, we will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes for lunch and to take the train back to Ollantaytambo. From there, our private transportation will take us back to the hotel in Cusco.
Total distance by bus: 6 Km / 3.73 miles
Machu Picchu altitude: 2400 m / 7874 ft
DAY 3: CUSCO-CHILCA ANANTA
Early in the morning, we will pick you at your hotel to travel by private transportation through the south Valley of Cusco until we arrive to Chilca community (4200m/13,779ft) starting point of the hike. Here, we will start hiking along the green valley full of alpacas grazing on the mountain sites and with beautiful views of the Ausangate Mountain (6270m/20,570ft). While we hike or stop for lunch on the trek, we may see wildlife such as Andean geese,chinchillas. After lunch we will continue to our Campsite Ananta (4400m/14,435ft) where we will set up our tents and spend the night.
Trekking distance: 12km/7,456miles
Campsite altitude: 4400m/14,456ft
DAY 4: ANANTA- RAINBOW MOUNTAIN-LACCTU-CUSCO
After energizing breakfast, the trail will lead us to one of the highest point of the trek through intriguing formations of red sandstone until we arrive to Ananta pass (4500m/14,763ft).Where we will have first views of the Rainbow Mountain in the distance and breathtaking Ausangate glacier. Then we will descent to the beautiful lake where we will enjoy the wildlife. Here will start the final uphill to the Rainbow Mountain (5200m/17,060ft).Upon arrival at the Mountain, you will get to marvel at the multicolored strata that paint the mountains. After enjoying the impressive colored landscape, we will descend through the valley that lead to Llactu community (4200m/13,779ft) where we will enjoy lunch before taking our private transportation back to hotel in Cusco.
Trekking distance: 13km/8,07miles
Lacctu altitude: 4200m/13,779ft
- Current passport is required. If your passport expired between booking and starting your tour, bring both the old and new passports!
- Short-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved shirts, fleece, thermals, wool socks, lightweight pants, warm hat
- Small pack to carry things that you will need during the day
- Rain gear or poncho
- Hiking boots with ankle support
- Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
- Camera, film and batteries (batteries die faster in cold conditions)
- Hydrating face and body lotion
- Sun block and insect repellent
- Water bottles (Nalgene or metal ones are required, plastic bottles are not allowed)
- Toilet paper and tissues
Items that are included in the tour price:
Short Inca Trail
- Pre-departure briefing at your hotel
- Private transportation from Cusco to Ollantaytambo train station
- Train ticket from Ollantaytambo to starting point of the trek
- Luggage transfer from Ollantayambo to hotel in Aguas Calientes
- English-speaking professional tour guides
- Entrance fees to the Inca trail and Machu Picchu
- Meals (one box lunch, one dinner, one breakfast)
- First aid kit including emergency oxygen
- Bus ticket from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Round trip bus ticket between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu
- Train ticket from Machu Picchu to Ollantaytambo
- Transfer from the train station to hotel in Cusco
- Rainbow Mountain entrance fees
- Personal tents: two person capacity with plenty of room for personal gear
- One inflatable sleeping pad per person
- A duffle bag for personal belongings provided at the briefing
- Dining tent with table and chairs
- Kitchen tent and cooking equipment
- Pack horses to carry tents, food, and cooking equipment
- Pack horses to carry up to 6 kg of personal gear per traveler
- Saddled horses for emergency in case someone is not able to keep hiking
- Meals (2 breakfasts, 2 lunches, 2 dinners), daily snack, and hot drinks (vegetarian and special diets are available)
- Warm water every morning and afternoon for bathing
- Filtered boiled water for drinking from the second day on
- Biodegradable hand soap
- Toilet tent with biodegradable toilet facilities
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen
- Round-trip Private transportation.
Items that are not included in the tour price:
Short Inca Trail
- Breakfast on the first day
- Lunch on the second day after Machu Picchu
- Wayna Picchu entrance fee (entrance is available for $75)
- Tips and extra spending
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Dinner on the second day.
- Sleeping bag (you can rent one from our company for $20).
- Tips and extra spending