SALKANTAY TREK TO MACHU PICCHU (5 DAYS)
Day 1: Cusco-Soraypampa-Humantay Lake
We will pick you up at the hotel early in the morning and travel by private transportation to Marko Q’asa, the starting point of the trek. We will hike toward Soraypampa (3900m / 12,795ft). Along the route, we will have panoramic views of Salkantay Mountain, Humantay Mountain, and the beautiful surrounding valleys. After lunch, we will hike toward Humantay Lake to enjoy the scenery, then return to the campsite at Soraypampa where the tents will be ready.
Trekking distance: 13 km / 8 miles
Campsite altitude: 3900 m / 12,795 ft
Day 2: Salkantay pass-Wayraqmachay-Chaullay
After an energizing breakfast, the trail will lead us to the highest point of the trek, Salkantay Pass (4630m / 15,190ft). Passing between the Humantay and Salkantay Mountains, this trail offers spectacular views of snowcapped Salkantay Mountain (6272m / 20,575ft). We will descend toward the Wayracmachay campsite to have lunch, then continue our descent through the high jungle to arrive at the Chaullay campsite in the late afternoon.
Trekking distance: 18 km / 11 miles
Campsite altitude: 2850 m / 9350 ft
Day 3: Collpapampa-Playa Sawayacu
We will follow an easy trail in the Santa Teresa River valley, where we will enjoy seeing streams fed by glacial waterfalls and beautiful vegetation, including coffee and banana plantations and avocado orchards, arriving at Playa Sawayacu for lunch. After lunch, we will have a chance to participate in the daily activities of locals working with these organic crops.
Trekking distance: 15 km / 9.32 miles
Campsite altitude: 2150 m / 7053 ft
Day 4: Llaqtapata-Hidroelectrica-Aguas Calientes
Our last day of trekking takes us into the forest toward the Patallaqta Inca site on the original Inca trail for the first spectacular view of Machu Picchu. The final descent will be through lush vegetation until we reach Aobamba River valley and Hidroeléctrica train station. We will have lunch, then hike to the town of Aguas Calientes and our hotel for the night.
Trekking distance: 23 km / 14.29 miles
Aguas Calientes altitude: 2050 m / 6725 ft
Day 5: Machu Picchu-Cusco
After an early breakfast at the hotel we will take the bus to Machu Picchu for the complete guided tour of the magical city. Our guide will explain the significance of the stone structures, temples and the most important places. Later, we will take the bus down to Aguas Calientes for lunch and then take the train back to Ollantaytambo. From there, our private transportation will take us back to the hotel in Cusco.
WHAT WE RECOMMEND BRINGING:
Current passport is required. If your passport expired between booking and starting your tour, bring both the old and new passports!
Short-sleeved shirts, long-sleeved shirts, fleece, thermals, wool socks, lightweight pants, warm hat
Small pack to carry things that you will need during the day
Rain gear or poncho
Hiking boots with ankle support.
Flashlight/headlamp and batteries
Camera, film and batteries (batteries die faster in cold conditions)
Hydrating face and body lotion
Sun block and insect repellent
Water bottles (Nalgene or metal ones are required, plastic bottles are not allowed)
Toilet paper and tissues
What is included in this tour?
- Pre-departure briefing at your hotel
- Private transportation from Cusco to the starting point of the trek
- Salkantay and Machu Picchu entrance fees
Professionally licensed trilingual tour guides
- Personal tents: two person capacity with plenty of room for personal gear
- One inflatable sleeping pad per person
- A duffle bag for personal belongings provided at the briefing
- Dining tent with table and chairs
- Kitchen tent and cooking equipment
- Pack horses to carry tents, food, and cooking equipment
- Pack horses to carry up to 7 kg of personal gear per traveler
- Saddled horses for emergency in case someone is not able to keep hiking
- Meals (4 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 4 dinners), daily snack, and hot drinks (vegetarian and special diets are available)
- Warm water every morning and afternoon for bathing
- Filtered boiled water for drinking from the second day on
- Biodegradable hand soap
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes
- Round-trip bus tickets between Aguas Calientes and Machu Picchu
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Transfer from train station to hotel in Cusco
What is not included in this tour?
• Breakfast on the first day
• Lunch on the last day after Machu Picchu
• Sleeping bag (you can rent one from our company for $25)
• Ticket for Wayna Picchu and Machu Picchu Mountain. If you would like to climb either of these mountains, please let us know when you are booking
• Tips and extra spending